- 14 oz elbow noodles
- 1 wheel of Rooted Delights Cheddah- shredded
- 2 cups of unsweetened dairy-free milk (I find that rice milk or oat milk is best!)
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional, but so good!)
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 2-3 tbsp vegan cream cheese
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- paprika (regular or smoked) to taste
- garlic powder to taste
- onion powder to taste
- Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning to taste
- yellow mustard to taste
- ¼ cup of flour or opt for arrowroot flour for GF
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs- can opt for gluten-free (optional)
Cook pasta according to package instructions, drain thoroughly when done and place it in the dish where you will be baking your cheezy mac. Season noodles with milk, salt, pepper, nutritional yeast, and a spoonful of cream cheese.
Preheat oven to 350˚F. Prepare the roux and cheese sauce while oven is warming.
In a small to medium pot, melt the vegan butter over medium heat . Once melted, whisk in flour, salt, pepper, and nutritional yeast. Stir for 2 minutes or until color of roux is slightly darker.
Slowly whisk in milk and stir for 1-2 minutes. Add your paprika, garlic and onion powder, creole seasoning, a little yellow mustard along with the cream cheese and shredded cheese. Reduce heat to simmer and stir until the cheesy sauce is nice and thick. Add more seasonings if needed.
Pour cheese sauce over macaroni noodles and mix well. Top with bread crumbs and a dash of paprika. (optional)
Bake for 15-25 minutes uncovered, or until the cheese is bubbling and beginning to brown. ENJOY!